A New Year- Time to Clean House
Updated: Jan 16, 2022
There’s something cathartic for me about organizing drawers, cleaning out closets, and letting go of clutter. I’ve always been a big fan of a good housecleaning in the new year and taking time to organize the spaces I’ve lived in. But it isn’t just the physical decluttering that can be cathartic – it is the energetic, emotional, and relational de-cluttering that can have positive effects. The New Year is a great time to take stock of who and what circumstances we invite and give energy to in 2022.
A starting point is to assess your professional and personal networks. Answer the following questions:
• Are you surrounded by more uplifters or takers?
• How do you feel around the people that you connect with on a regular basis?
• Am I engaging in joyful and fun experiences?
• Are my talents and gifts being appreciated?
I heard this great quote once, “Surround yourself with people that reflect who you want to be and how you want to feel, energies are contagious.” I find this to be so accurate; it is about who and how we spend our time that greatly impacts the quality of our lives.
People are quick to blame people and circumstances for their unhappiness and lack of peace. Now is the time to take back your power and make a conscious choice of the company we keep. Think about the people you engage with, the companies you work for and the causes you support. Only you know who and what is in your highest good and aligned with your values. If it isn’t a mutually beneficial relationship, then it is time to change it up or let it go. Not always an easy task, although a healthier move in the long run.
In the book, “Dodging Energy Vampires,” Christiane Northrup M.D. says “When a relationship works for mutual benefit whether that’s creating a home, a family, a business, or being service in need- an alchemical magic happens. The unbridled healing energy of two or more people working in harmony for good creates a third energy that is greater than what each person could do individually”.
I love this way of putting it; it is about being with people who support you and as a result, the combined energy helps the collective, greater good. This way of “being” is greatly needed for us to thrive in the communities we live in.
What’s next? Here are a couple of suggestions on being intentional when it come to creating a fulfilling, healthy, and connected life. It starts by letting go and bowing out gracefully.
1. Spend less time with people and circumstances that don’t value you. It is a great opportunity to set physical boundaries. Remember who and where we spend our time impacts our everyday existence.
2. Be sure to bless, send love, and forgive people and/or circumstances in order to make space for the new.
3. Stop spending mental energy on the past. It won’t change anything and keeps you stuck in the same place. A healthy way to move forward is to cut losses as early as possible and learn from experiences. It is about centering our energy on new opportunities, connections, and possibilities which life has to offer.
‘Tis the season for a redo or like the navigational systems say, time to “Recalculate”. In the upcoming year, be thoughtful about how and who you spend your time with. It is about reclaiming space for more wellbeing and grace in your life. Best wishes for a joyful 2022!